I spent the day in Buffalo at Cheryl’s house and it was so nice and relaxing to be in someone’s home after being on the bus and in hotels for so long.  After sound check we went to a Thai restaurant with Mike and Julia, and then to a coffee place called The Spot.  Again, it was raining.

The Buffalo crowd was enthusiastic and the room sounded great.  I had lots of friends there from Rochester.  The band was tight and smooth.  People were yelling for my songs, so that was cool.

I think that the end of the tour was looming over the band and crew, and we were all savoring each moment of playing together.

We went out to see U-Melt afterward and saw a few friends there,  and then got on the bus bound for Burlington.

Burlington was a mix of emotions.  This was the end of the tour.  Everybody was collecting all the stuff they’d brought on the bus.  Most of the band and crew live in or around Burlington, so in the morning, nearly everyone had gone home to see their families.

We were all excited for the show.  We knew it’d be packed, and having played Higher Ground before, we knew the sound would be good.  There was the potential for lots of sit in guests, but we discussed this and decided on no guests.  We made the exception later on when we found out Page was coming and decided that he would be a notable exception to have play Sugar Shack with us.

While we were all excited, we were all sad as well.  The month was over, and of course it felt as though it had zipped by.

Just after noon, Julia came and picked me up.  We had lunch, and then went to Dobra Tea where we met Dave, who had dropped me off at the bus in Springfield.  We did some shopping in Burlington and then went to sound check.

Even at sound check, it felt like the hometown show.  Many close friends and family members were showing up, as well as lots of folks who had caught the first few shows of the tour.  (JMT!)

By showtime, the place was packed and we were ready to go.  It was hard not to put EVERY song on the set list!

The crowd was way into it and high energy, and there were a lot of people I could tell had not seen us yet.

Third song in, Page joined us for an extended version of Sugar Shack.  For a song that had given us (or me) so much trouble in the beginning, it was smooth and flowing and powerful.

The rest of the night was a culmination of everything we had done over the past month.  There were good dynamics, interesting jams, great energy and great communication.  We finally encored with C&C Music Factory’s Things That Make You Go Hmm, and it was over.

We hung out for a long time at Higher Ground, but eventually everything was removed from the bus, and everyone left to go home.

Dave drove me to my house.  We got there at 7 a.m. and I went into work at 10:30.  Sigh.